Sandra Longan Designs (Items For Sale)

Monday, October 12, 2015

Making A New Favorite Snack

Two weeks back I found out that I LOVE Hummus. 
We were in Costco and they had the Sabra Organic Hummus with Red Peppers at a taste booth or traffic congester as I like to call them, so I thought what the heck might as well try something new. I LOVED it!!!!, so I bought the tub of hummus and had it gone in the first week : (
Didn't want to continue to pay almost $10 for a snack that would only last a week, so I went on the internet and found recipes for the yummy treat then proceeded to make my own using the basics of different recipes as my template to come up with my own from what I had on hand.

Homemade Garlic Hummus
   
2 - 15.5 ounce cans Garbanzo Beans - drained and skins left on
2 T. Lemon Juice - I used bottled
1 to 2 T. Garlic - I used pre-minced
4 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 t. Kosher Salt
1 t. ground Cumin
1/2 to 1 t. Paprika
1/2 t. Onion Powder
1/4 c. Red Bell Pepper - chopped
2 to 3 T. Water

I put the Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) into the food processor and pulsed them around until they were coarse ground then I added everything except the peppers and water and processed until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl. 
Then add the water a little at a time until you get the thickness that you want, then add the peppers and process to mix them in, next time I will stir them in by hand so I end up with little pepper chunks instead of the barely there that I got from processing. 
I added a little Paprika and a swirl of olive oil on top for looks.

Most of the recipes called for Tahini, but I didn't have any or enough Sesame Seed to make my own, but it was an optional ingredient so I didn't worry about it.

It's really good with Wheat Thins or baby Carrots, I didn't like it with Triscuits.

If you like Hummus, give making your own a try, it's really yummy and quick.

Take Care Everyone
Hugs, Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave your thoughts behind. They are truly appreciated and help keep me motivated to continue doing the things I love.