Sandra Longan Designs (Items For Sale)

Monday, January 29, 2018

A Little Canning

It was cold this weekend so the hubs and I did a bit of canning to stock the shelves and clean out the freezer.

First I made some homemade bread crumbs. Both of us dislike the heels of bread so I dried them and stored them until I had a good supply then I put them in the food processor and pulsed until I got the crumb size I wanted then vacuum sealed them with my Food Saver and the regular mouth jar sealer attachment.

Two Quarts of Bread Crumbs, cost $0 since they would have been thrown out or given to the birds. 
I never bought bread crumbs from the store for recipes and would have to improvise by toasting bread now I always have them on hand.
Next I made Brown Sugar.

Just 5 cups of white sugar and Molasses to taste. Into the Kitchen Aid it goes and just let it go adding molasses until well mixed. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes and your done. More cost effective than the store especially if you already buy your sugar by the 25 pound bag.  

 I store mine in a vintage Ball canning jar.

We finished the evening by getting all the frozen tomatoes we had juiced in 2016, 5 gallon zip locks worth, along with onion, bell pepper and celery plus two #10 cans of tomato sauce and one #10 can of tomato paste and made ......

21 quarts of Spaghetti Sauce. In our opinion, so much better than store bought.
The Bell Pepper, Tomatoes, Parsley and Oregano we used all came from our garden, I'll have to start more herbs this year to keep up our supply.

That's it for now, so until next post .......

Take Care Everyone
Hugs, Sandy

9 comments:

  1. I never thought about canning bread crumbs, I always make them when I need them. Did you dry can them in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer and used that with the jar attachment.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your spaghetti sauce looks and sounds fabulous. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll laugh. The heals were always my favorite. I'm sure I whined when I had a sandwich with no heal. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your husband are certainly industrious !! looks wonderful , all of it and I am sure it is better than store bought!!! take care from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to stock up your cupboard and save money.
    Since mfgr's are cutting back, what we always buy at the store doesn't taste the same anymore.
    This way you can add to your own taste.
    It all looks delicious.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so yummy! Especially that spaghetti sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How good to have all those wonderful resources prepared & stored. The Spaghetti sauce is such a brilliant colour. I do love the bread crumb idea.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I'm trying to figure out the green canned stuff. I read several times and can't get it into my head what it's used for, but assuming it's herbs, celery, and green peppers and used in spaghetti sauce? It threw me because I assumed it would muddy the red color of the other part of spaghetti sauce? Is that correct and it's not enough to affect the red color? Thanks, honey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave your thoughts behind. They are truly appreciated and help keep me motivated to continue doing the things I love.